Sweet potatoes truly are a super food. The benefits of this super root vegetable are just amazing! They contain multiple immune boosting vitamins and minerals to ward off colds, flus and more!
1. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin B6 which helps to reduce the risk of heart attack.
2. They are a good source of vitamin C which is important for reducing the risk of cold and flu viruses, bone and tooth formation, digestion, and blood cell formation.
3. These power houses are also good sources of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is critical for a healthy immune system and seasonal affective disorder. It also improves energy levels and elevates your mood.
4. Iron is another nutrient found in sweet potatoes which also boosts our immune system, helps with stress management, and the metabolizing of protein.
5. They are also a good source of Magnesium. Magnesium is good for relaxation and is an anti-stress mineral. Who couldn’t use that?!?!
6. Potassium: an electrolyte that helps regulate heartbeat and nerve signals.
7. They also don’t cause blood sugar spikes which makes them diabetic friendly. Their natural sugars are released slowly into the blood stream to ensure a balanced and regular source of energy.
8. Rich in carotenoids like beta carotene which strengthen your eyesight and immunity and are powerful antioxidants that help ward off cancer and protect against the effects of aging.
Super food recipes
And now for a couple of great recipes using these power houses!